Close your eyes and imagine one of the following:
- Your first dorm room or apartment
- Walking on a beach on a warm sunny day
- Riding on a motorcycle or in a convertible with top down on a beautiful road
- A stroll on a forest path with light shining through the trees and the sounds of birds singing
- Or, travel anywhere (in your mind) that makes you happy.
Stay quiet, breathe deeply, and notice what you feel, smell, see, and hear.
THAT’S WHAT FREEDOM FEELS LIKE!
So…. what does this have to do with leadership?
You can nurture a sense of freedom in those who count on your leadership by:
- Listening even when you really want to talk
- Letting go of your need to be right
- Being inclusive in the decisions that impact them
- Letting them take risks and make mistakes for the sake of learning
- Stretching them beyond what they think they can do
- Believing in their potential
- Telling them what they did well more often
- Being critical of what they did only when it really matters
- Being willing to let them do things their way
- Celebrating success with them
While you are doing these things, notice what happens. Freedom magically stimulates creativity, engagement and productivity. And that impacts you and your organization in a very positive way!