When I asked, “What’s keeping you from having that tough conversation?”, I heard you say…
- I don’t have time
- I don’t know how
- It won’t go the way I want it to
- I fear _________ (fill in the blank)
And all because you didn’t have it:
- You have zero chance of changing your situation
- Someone is suffering
- Profits are down
- Gossip is running rampant
- Non-productivity abounds
- You can’t sleep
- You can’t eat
- You are afraid of what’s ahead
Stop. Think. What is that neglected conversation costing you, the people you need to speak to, your organization, stakeholders, customers and profits?
The risk of having the conversation is much lower than giving in to your fear. So step gently into that conversation. You just might be wonderfully surprised at the difference it makes.